Using biosdevname by default?

Stéphane Graber stgraber at ubuntu.com
Mon Feb 6 00:16:57 UTC 2012

On 02/05/2012 07:03 PM, Scott Ritchie wrote:
> On 01/31/2012 06:57 AM, Stéphane Graber wrote:
>> I personally find this change risky for 12.04, I agree the
>> hardcoded use of eth* and similar are hacks that we should get
>> rid of, but I doubt we have the resources or time to check and
>> fix the whole archive in time for 12.04.
>

> If I'm reading Dell's email right, it seems like they've
> volunteered to help fix the archive in this regard :)
>
> Thanks, Scott Ritchie

Which I really appreciate but realistically for Ubuntu 12.04, all
these fixes would need to be in the archive before Feature Freeze so
we can consider turning on biosdevname by default.

And don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that if these issues get fixed
in time for Feature Freeze, we'll automatically turn biosdevname on,
I'm just saying, that we could then have the discussion on whether we
want the feature or not for 12.04.

I tend to agree with Martin, that this would cause confusion and
likely break much more than our distro packages and scripts.

This really should have been discussed at UDS rather than showing up
so late in the development cycle.

To be safe, I'd much prefer having DELL and other interested users of
the feature help get these networking scripts fixed during the rest of
the cycle (as long as they are still considered bugfixes) and have a
session at UDS in Oakland on biosdevname and turning it on by default.

This should allow Dell and other interested manufacturers and users to
have something working in 12.04 by manually installing biosdevname on
their system and in their custom builds while not risking regressions
for the rest of our users.

- --
Stéphane Graber
Ubuntu developer