Changelog entries for post-release updates

Bryce Harrington bryce at canonical.com
Fri Feb 3 20:09:40 UTC 2012

On Fri, Feb 03, 2012 at 11:56:34AM -0800, Scott Ritchie wrote:

> On 02/03/2012 11:31 AM, Matthew Paul Thomas wrote:
> > Now, I'm not at all picking on Micah here. This was a completely
> > typical Ubuntu changelog. Almost every Ubuntu changelog has
> > roughly the same problems.
> >
> > How might we fix this?
> >

> Perhaps we shouldn't actually try to change the changelogs, and
> instead change how they're presented to the user.  If what the user
> actually reads could be written (and translated!) while the update is
> still in -proposed, without requiring an entire new package upload
> just to fix, then making human-readable changelogs could easily work
> in the process.

No, that'd just pawn off responsibility to some other (unmanned) team.
Better to keep the duty with the SRU itself.  It's not *that* hard to
write literate changelog entries.  Just always remember to answer two
questions:  What was the problem?  How does this fix it?  And sometimes:
Where did the fix come from?

Bryce