Styles of Packaging

Chow Loong Jin hyperair at ubuntu.com
Wed Dec 19 01:20:29 UTC 2012

On 19/12/2012 00:30, Barry Warsaw wrote:
> I'm positive I'm not typical, but I personally find Ubuntu development so much
> more pleasant than Debian development that I'll use the Debian branches on
> Launchpad for 90% of my on Debian work.  It's only at the "last mile" that
> I'll switch over to e.g. DPMT's or PAPT's svn repo, or file a patch on a BTS
                                            ^^^^^^^^^
That's the issue, you see. Anything's better than svn. I personally use the
git-buildpackage suite of things for development locally. For packages not
maintained in git, I typically use git import-dsc(s) on downloaded .dsc files
before starting work. Debian makes this even nicer by having git import-dscs
--debsnap which pulls everything from snapshots.debian.org.

I used to maintain some packages in DPMT/PAPT back before I became a DD, but it
was such a pain to use SVN that I just moved everything to collab-maint.

> issue (generated, of course with `bzr diff`).
>
> Heck, I'd even accept using git <gulp!> if Debian had anything as comfortable
> as UDD for me.

There was some talk on debian-devel about having everything on Debian imported
into Git repositories, which would probably allow for a somewhat UDD-like
workflow for Debian. Unfortunately, I think the usual debian-devel flames cut it
short.

--
Kind regards,
Loong Jin