Deprecating the wiki-based Packaging Guide

Barry Warsaw barry at ubuntu.com
Tue Dec 18 16:20:53 UTC 2012

On Dec 17, 2012, at 07:52 PM, Scott Kitterman wrote:

>UDD is not mature or reliable enough to be presented to new users as "the"
>way to do packaging for Ubuntu.  I think the current guide is fatally flawed
>as is.

Yes, it's frustrating when you need to work on a package that has import
failures, and yes, I wish we had more cycles to devote to fixing this, but the
majority of packages import just fine, and UDD (IMHO and YMMV) has enormous
benefits which outweigh those frustrations.

Of course, I'm not saying that traditional packaging shouldn't also be
described.

-Barry