Deprecating the wiki-based Packaging Guide

Mike Carifio carifio at usys.com
Tue Dec 18 02:55:46 UTC 2012

On 12/17/2012 08:11 PM, Emmet Hikory wrote:
> Andrew Starr-Bochicchio wrote:

>>> Will these bugs tracked and fixed before step four? We should only
>>> remove the wiki based guide if all missing pieces from it are available
>>> in the Sphinx-based packaging guide.
>> That said, I do think it is important to point out that "all missing
>> pieces" will never be completely ported to the new guide.  A large
>> part of the reason for making the new guide in the first place has
>> been to streamline it, making opinionated decisions of what to
>> include, and eliminate the "choose your own adventure" style of the
>> old guide. For instance, do we really need to discus desktop files and
>> POD based manpages in the Packaging Guide?
>     While I'm all in favour of a return to a managed (and packagable)
> packaging guide, I think there is value in being clear that folk who wish to
> package have a plethora of options available: by all means, let's advocate the
> latest labour-saving mechanisms, but at the same time, I think we need to
> avoid anything that implies there is some magic one true way to package.  At
> least in the current text presented at developer.ubuntu.com, the suggestions
> on packaging new software recommend local compilation, which often hides all
> sorts of issues, although it significantly reduces the apparent setup required
> to get involved: I don't believe there is a good answer as to how folk should
> do this: some may prefer to set things up to match what they think most
> developers use, and others may just want to get something done.  Similarly,
> we're recommending use of dh-make, and then recommending deleting all the
> example files that it produces: this is another case where there may be more
> value in having two paths: one that goes through the dh-make files, and the
> other that just focuses on changelog, compat, control, copyright, and rules
> (of which 60% are trivially generated automatically).  Different folk learn
> differently, and as long as we're documenting things that we expect to be
> used not only for new packaging, but also for patching existing packages,
> it behooves us to ensure that we have coverage of all the different ways that
> packages might behave, and some guidance on how to discover when to apply any
> given rune from some assembled grimoire (assuming it will take some practice
> for folk to learn the tools well enough to remember how to do things without
> looking at their notes).

I come at this differently. Although we may take packaging seriously, I
would say that many devs don't view it
as the main event. They are looking for the one true way to package
because its a means to an end. If there isn't one
or isn't a small number of them, then maybe that's an indication of a
deeper problem.