Deprecating the wiki-based Packaging Guide

Andrew Starr-Bochicchio a.starr.b at gmail.com
Tue Dec 18 00:06:11 UTC 2012

On Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 4:53 PM, Benjamin Drung <bdrung at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Am Montag, den 17.12.2012, 16:01 -0500 schrieb Andrew Starr-Bochicchio:
>> 1) Send a last-call anouncement to ubuntu-devel requesting bug reports
>> about any missing material. Announce steps 2 and 3 will take place
>> after one month.
>> 2) Move the entire PackagingGuide wiki namespace en masse to
>> PackagingGuideDeprecated.
>> 3) Redirect wiki.ubuntu.com/PackagingGuide to
>> developer.ubuntu.com/packaging/html/
>> 4) After six months (one full development cycle)
>> PackagingGuideDeprecated will be deleted.
>>
>> This is the mail referred to in step 1. In one month, I will move the
>> entire PackagingGuide wiki namespace enmass to
>> PackagingGuideDeprecated and set up a redirect. If you feel that there
>> are any critical pieces of information that are missing from the
>> Sphinx-based Ubuntu Packaging Guide, now is the time to file bugs (and
>> provide patches). [4]
>
> Will these bugs tracked and fixed before step four? We should only
> remove the wiki based guide if all missing pieces from it are available
> in the Sphinx-based packaging guide.

Hi Benjamin,

We will obviously make a final review of the situation before before
proceeding to delete the old content, and there will also be another
UDS between now and then which will offer an opportunity for
discussion.

That said, I do think it is important to point out that "all missing
pieces" will never be completely ported to the new guide.  A large
part of the reason for making the new guide in the first place has
been to streamline it, making opinionated decisions of what to
include, and eliminate the "choose your own adventure" style of the
old guide. For instance, do we really need to discus desktop files and
POD based manpages in the Packaging Guide?

Even if some of that information is potentially useful, most of it has
not been updated for quite a while and will be up dated even less
frequently when it is less prominent. I have to agree with Jorge:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IT1yY78J9A0

Thanks,

-- Andrew Starr-Bochicchio

   Ubuntu Developer <https://launchpad.net/~andrewsomething>