How to pass on my software to the Linux-community?

Mark Einon mark.einon at gmail.com
Fri Dec 7 14:59:48 UTC 2012

On 7 December 2012 04:40, Osmo Antero <osmoma at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
> I have an audio-recorder software that I would like to pass on to the
> Linux-community, so more hands can involve in its development.
>
> I cannot maintain the software further because I have started other
> projects. I want to give it to the Linux-community.
>
> How can I setup an incubator for the code?
>
> The software is here:
> https://launchpad.net/audio-recorder
>
> It is a rather simple audio-recorder that uses Gstreamer for the tough
> part. I can see from the statistics of PPA that is has at least 5000
> downloads already, maybe even more. So I can't just throw it away without
> notice.
>
> Please tell me if you are interested to maintain the code further. I have
> already ported it to Gstreamer 1.0 so the changes for Ubuntu 13.04 and 13.10
> will be very subtle, next to nothing.
>
> The quality of code is not any 1. class prime-art, but it has served well
> so far, and more hands can easily improve the code.
>
> Some screenshots:
> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=12306562
>
> The code should keep its copyright statements, must be fully GPL3, and
> have 0 price forever. And to be maintained on the Launchpad.net.

Hi Osmo,

Firstly, congratulations on your project success. One thing I'd like
to point out however, is that extra constraints over and above the
GPL, such as 'zero price' and maintaining it forever on launchpad will
probably mean that the chances of your code being maintained by others
drop considerably. Extra clauses such as these can be a nightmare to
handle properly.

The FSF actually consider a zero price clause not to be compatible
with free software licences, ironically (See the Aladdin section in
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html).

I would strongly recommend that you just stick to the generic GPL3 licence.

Cheers,

Mark