Documentation for netboot [was Re: Proposal to drop Ubuntu alternate CDs for 12.10]

Serge Hallyn serge.hallyn at canonical.com
Tue Aug 28 14:45:43 UTC 2012

Quoting Dmitrijs Ledkovs (dmitrij.ledkov at ubuntu.com):
> On 28/08/12 15:34, Serge Hallyn wrote:
> >
> > mount that to /mnt, rsync it to /var/lib/tftpboot/$release, copy the preseed
> > file back into there, and now the other laptop can just boot+install from it.
> >

> Is that doing boot for one release/arch at a time or let you choose at boot?

Choose at boot - but only if I've set up both arches of course.  Usually I'll
have i386 and amd64 for the current devel release, and amd64 for the previous
release.  (Short on disk space)  And add something specific if I need it.

> I'd love to have that, but be able to select release&arch at boot?
> Or is that non-trivial to setup?

No it's easy enough.  Oh, the script I inlined was an old version - you
can see where adding an optional arch as $2 and passing it to wget is
trivial enough.  Ah, right, I lost the new version of the script when my
hd died a few months back (and I guess I haven't added an i386 since then).