Installing on RAID with Ubiquity [was: Proposal to drop Ubuntu alternate CDs for 12.10]

Robie Basak robie.basak at canonical.com
Tue Aug 28 10:49:04 UTC 2012

On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 11:43:32AM +0100, Dmitrijs Ledkovs wrote:
> At boot, udev is incrementally assembling md arrays on ubuntu. So why
> would it not create stable names?

From http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.linux.raid/34027:

"""
When a new device appears (such as  a new md array), udev springs in to
action and examines it to see if it should do something with it.
While udev (or some tool that it ran) is examining the md array it looks like
it is busy so an attempt to stop it will fail.
"""

This sounds like a reasonable explanation to me, but I've not verified
this or looked into it further. I only mention the bug because the
behaviour sounds familiar and may be related.