Proposal to drop Ubuntu alternate CDs for 12.10

Stéphane Graber stgraber at ubuntu.com
Tue Aug 28 07:51:41 UTC 2012

On 08/28/2012 03:25 AM, Dmitrijs Ledkovs wrote:
> On 28 August 2012 06:56, Alkis Georgopoulos <alkisg at gmail.com> wrote:
>> For the LTSP use case, another possible workaround for post-12.10 releases:
>>  * In the last stages of installation, copy the whole /target system to
>> /target/opt/ltsp/i386,
>>  * Chroot to /target/opt/ltsp/i386 and install ltsp-client and ldm,
>>  * Run /target/opt/ltsp/i386/usr/share/ltsp/cleanup to remove the user
>> account that was created, regenerate dbus machine id etc,
>>  * Install ltsp-server to /target,
>>  * And run /target/ltsp-update-image to generate a squashfs image in
>> /target/opt/ltsp/images/i386.img out of the fat chroot in
>> /target/opt/ltsp/i386.
>>
>> This changes the default LTSP chroot to one that supports fat+thin
>> clients (instead of only thins), but with the current trends that
>> require 3d acceleration on desktops, that's probably a good thing.
>>
>> And it only requires minimal network connectivity to generate the
>> chroot, or a couple of MB of packages in the installation media
>> (ltsp-server, ltsp-client, ldm).
>>

> This sounds very ubiquity friendly. We would probably install
> ltsp-server, ltsp-client & ldm in the squashfs, and remove them as
> needed (this is what ubiquity currently does). Then an ltsp
> installation plugin needs to be added that can do the rest of the
> steps =)

No need, the code already exists in edubuntu-live and has been around
for years ;)
The only difference is that with what Alkis describes, it's possible to
re-use the livefs squashfs instead of using a separate ltsp squashfs
like Edubuntu currently does.

The biggest concern we found with that, and the reason why we didn't
switch to it for 12.10 in Edubuntu is that most thin clients are unable
to run amd64 code, yet the server ideally should be amd64.

That's why the Edubuntu media contains both a regular livefs for the
desktop/ltsp server installations and a separate ltsp squashfs that's
always i386 so even when installing with the amd64 image you get an i386
LTSP chroot.

--
Stéphane Graber
Ubuntu developer