Unity Going Forward

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Mon Aug 20 18:20:18 UTC 2012

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/unity/+bug/1039051

>> > For these cases, we are actively working on Unity running through
>> > LLVMpipe
>> > which is a work in progress. Unity through LLVMpipe is CPU bound which
>> > means
>> > systems with decently modern CPU architectures and non-GPU accelerated
>> > hardware should be able to run Unity. As I mentioned, this approach is a
>> > work in progress as we tweak the experience and effects to maximize the
>> > performance. We expect this to shake out over the rest of this cycle and
>> > bleed into 13.04 as well[2][3].
>>
>> Is it correct that at the moment a machine that will not run 2d will
>> not run at all after todays update?  This seems to be the case for me
>> at the moment, I see no unity shell on screen and in .xsession-errors
>> I see
>> compiz (unityshell) - Error: OpenGL 1.4+ not supported
>>
>> When can I expect llvmpipe to start working so I know whether to log bugs?
>

> The rought ETA is sometime just after FF, so adding some time for testing
> and shakeout, it might be closer to beta1.

I have submitted a bug for this too in order to track it.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/unity/+bug/1039155

It is unfortunate that unity-2d has been removed before the
replacement is available as now one of my test machines is out of
action for Quantal testing.  I can logon but then just get the
background image and no launcher or panel.

Colin