new X stack moved to quantal, nvidia users beware

Steve Langasek steve.langasek at
Fri Aug 17 18:37:54 UTC 2012

On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 09:39:18AM +0300, Timo Aaltonen wrote:
>   Just a heads-up, the new xserver et al moved to quantal, but the
> nvidia binary driver doesn't work with it, instead it'll likely just
> crash on login.

> So if you're using the blob, don't upgrade to current quantal until
> there's a new driver provided by NVIDIA.

The nvidia-graphics-drivers package has been updated to correctly document
that it's not compatible with the new X server.  Thanks to Alberto for the
update!  So this addresses the biggest problem, which is that users who are
using the nvidia driver would get upgraded to a broken desktop (because the
loaded kernel driver wouldn't work with the new X).  Instead, the nvidia
driver package is now uninstallable in quantal until a version becomes
available that's compatible with the current X server.  This should help
some quantal users being accidentally upgraded to a broken combination of

Users who want to stay current with quantal in the meantime should remove
the nvidia driver package from their system and use the nouveau driver

Ubuntu Developer
slangasek at                                     vorlon at