new X stack moved to quantal, nvidia users beware

Steve Langasek steve.langasek at ubuntu.com
Fri Aug 17 18:37:54 UTC 2012

On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 09:39:18AM +0300, Timo Aaltonen wrote:
>   Just a heads-up, the new xserver et al moved to quantal, but the
> nvidia binary driver doesn't work with it, instead it'll likely just
> crash on login.

> So if you're using the blob, don't upgrade to current quantal until
> there's a new driver provided by NVIDIA.

The nvidia-graphics-drivers package has been updated to correctly document
that it's not compatible with the new X server.  Thanks to Alberto for the
update!  So this addresses the biggest problem, which is that users who are
using the nvidia driver would get upgraded to a broken desktop (because the
loaded kernel driver wouldn't work with the new X).  Instead, the nvidia
driver package is now uninstallable in quantal until a version becomes
available that's compatible with the current X server.  This should help
some quantal users being accidentally upgraded to a broken combination of
packages.

Users who want to stay current with quantal in the meantime should remove
the nvidia driver package from their system and use the nouveau driver
instead.