Syncing make-dfsg 2.82 from Debian experimental

Steve Langasek steve.langasek at ubuntu.com
Wed Aug 8 20:41:22 UTC 2012

Hi Seb,

On Wed, Aug 08, 2012 at 10:09:00PM +0200, Sebastien Bacher wrote:
> Hey everyone,

> I'm unsure who to ask for feedback so I'm emailing that list.

> Is there anyone having an objection syncing make 2.82 [1] from
> Debian experimental?
> - the version is out of over 2 years
> - it's in fedora for about 2 years
> - it's in Debian experimental for a year

> The new version fixes a stack of bugs, it seems Debian found an
> issue they consider important (breaking compatibility in some
> cases), upstream doesn't have the same opinion and documentation
> that with a "WARNING: Backward-incompatibility!" in their NEWS, the
> bug didn't get any activity for almost a year.

> The reason I'm asking is because I ran into issues trying to update
> webkit this week and build needs a make update (and a patch over the
> new version) to build correctly, which let us with the options to
> update make, or trying to backport fixes for it, or try to
> workaround on the webkit side...

> Is anyone here having a strong opinion on the topic? If nobody says
> to not to do I will probably sync the new version for quantal

I don't think this should be synced without doing a full test rebuild of the
archive (main+universe) using the new version.  This is core infrastructure,
*every single* package in the archive uses it to build and we have no idea
what the impact of these backwards-incompatible changes will be.

It's probably a lot simpler to go with one of the other two options.