Re: “debootstrap” 1.0.40~precise1 available in precise-backports

Scott Moser smoser at ubuntu.com
Mon Apr 30 19:01:14 UTC 2012

On Mon, 30 Apr 2012, Colin Watson wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 12:42:50PM -0400, Scott Moser wrote:
> > On Fri, 27 Apr 2012, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> > > This debootstrap knows about quantal.  It just finished building and should be
> > > available in less than an hour for precise backports.
> >
> > Could we make debootstrap use distro-info or distro-info-data ?
>
> It's come up before, but no, not really; debootstrap needs to be
> runnable without any distribution-specific facilities.

Ok, I'm sure i'm just being ignorant, but that might make sense from an
upstream debootstrap perspective, but It would seem to make sense for
ubuntu to carry a patch so it doesn't have to SRU to each active release
every 6 months to add a new string.

Wouldn't something like this be possible:
 KNOWN_RELEASES=" warty hoary breezy dapper edgy feisty gutsy hardy intrepid jaunty karmic lucid maverick natty oneiric precise quantal "
 releases=$(distro-info --all) && [ -n "$releases" ] &&
   KNOWN_RELEASES=$(echo "" $releases "")

Ie, don't depend on the distribution-specific facility, but trust it if it
is there.