Quantal archive rebuild proposal

Scott Kitterman ubuntu at kitterman.com
Fri Apr 27 22:20:17 UTC 2012

On Friday, April 27, 2012 05:13:21 PM Micah Gersten wrote:
> Now that we have the faster i386/amd64 buildds, I'd like to suggest at
> least one extra rebuild earlier in the cycle at least for i386/amd64 so
> there's time to get these changes upstream.
>
> Around alpha 1 ~ June 7 (archive raw, lots of failures, should catch
> most of the Ubuntu change related gcc-4.7 issues though)
> After Feature freeze ~ Aug 23 (archive should be fairly stable for most
> dependency trees, check to see what new failures were introduced through
> new upstream versions)
> During beta 2 freeze ~ Sep 25 (shake out the last round of failures)

My initial reaction is that we're learning plenty from the existing rebuilds.
There's no real need to add to the pile of work we don't have time to do.

The rebuilds do have a negative effect on distro development because, even
though they have a low priority in Soyuz, when all the builders are full due
to rebuild packages being built nothing can start until one of the rebuild
packages finishes.  Since they build in alphabetical order, about the time you
hit gcc*, this can really slow things up.

I would not add more rebuilds unless it's really clear there will be benefit.
Until after DIF much of what turns up in a rebuild is inevitably archive skew
that it's not hard to find other ways.

Scott K