Quantal plans for Python 3

Barry Warsaw barry at ubuntu.com
Thu Apr 26 14:43:48 UTC 2012

On Apr 25, 2012, at 10:31 PM, Scott Kitterman wrote:

>Actually it does.  Once common components like Ubiquity and Update Manager
>(to name a couple that come immediately to mind) go Python 3, then flavors
>will have to use their Python 3 flavors.  The means they either have to ship
>Python and Python 3 (which eats CD space) or go to Python 3.  Either way
>there's an impact.
>
>That doesn't mean we shouldn't go ahead, but let's do it with our eyes open
>about the impact.

Good point.

Also, as Michael Terry pointed out, some tools like Duplicity have Suggests
that while not strictly in the "must port" path (i.e. because they do not have
"Task: ubuntu-desktop"), they provide optional but useful (and currently
existing) functionality.

I've added a tab to the spreadsheet labeled "Good To Have" and I think we
should at least track those optional packages there, and try to find resources
to get them ported.

I've also added a section on the detailed spec (wiki page) for side effects
such as these.

Cheers,
-Barry