Brainstorming for UDS-Q - Build Prioritization

Colin Watson cjwatson at ubuntu.com
Mon Apr 16 23:42:24 UTC 2012

On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 02:51:47PM -0700, Scott Ritchie wrote:
> Archive skew is even more pernicious: it can make packages with
> cross-architecture dependencies (notably Wine) completely
> uninstallable.  Now that multiarch is a thing this will be an
> increasing problem for anyone testing a devel system with any
> foreign packages installed.
>
> Could I propose, perhaps radically, that we instead consider not
> publishing packages for _any_ arch until they have zero build
> failures/in progress for all their build targets?
>
> Less radically, might I propose we special case i386 and amd64 to
> work this way (ie, i386 failures/in progress block amd64
> publishing)?

I'd be a lot happier with fixing the apt bugs that make it far too
insistent on trying to resolve things based on the absolute latest
version in the archive, rather than trying some other combinations (in
cases where there are multiple versions of a package in the Packages
file).  That would help with some non-multiarch cases too.