Getting new packages into Ubuntu

Matthias Klose doko at ubuntu.com
Tue Sep 20 14:10:39 UTC 2011

On 09/20/2011 01:59 PM, Jonathan Lange wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 8:55 PM, Colin Watson <cjwatson at ubuntu.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 12:09:54PM -0700, Evan Broder wrote:
>>> If we're going to focus on making this easier, can we focus on the
>>> first two options? Historically speaking, packages that live solely in
>>> Ubuntu and aren't part of any release's user experience tend to end up
>>> largely orphaned by a MOTU team that's overworked and understaffed.
>>
>> Amen.  Even just from fixing builds over the last few weeks, I'm getting
>> tired of fixing stuff that was stuffed into Ubuntu a few releases ago
>> and then ignored!
>
> Do those who stuffed it in get alerted of breaks?

yes, see my emails to -announce about build failures.  Then have a look at
http://people.ubuntuwire.org/~wgrant/rebuild-ftbfs-test/test-rebuild-20110816-oneiric.html
and hover over the version numbers to see the ones who to blame ;) No, there is
no automatic notification (same for merges).

> What reason would they have to care?

not sure I do understand you. What reason did they give to have it in the
distribution in the first place?