Ubuntu 11.10 Kernel Version - 3.0

Leann Ogasawara leann.ogasawara at canonical.com
Fri Sep 9 18:55:47 UTC 2011

Hi All,

With the Ubuntu 11.10 Kernel Freeze approaching, the Ubuntu Kernel Team
felt this would also be an appropriate time to officially announce that the
Ubuntu 11.10 kernel will be based on the v3.0 mainline kernel.  During
the Kernel Version and Flavors session [1] at UDS-Oneiric in Budapest,
Hungary, we had originally planned to target what we thought we be a
2.6.40 kernel.  However, upstream did a major rev of the kernel and
released v3.0 instead.  As Ubuntu 11.10 is not an LTS release and given
the timing of the upstream kernel release, the Ubuntu Kernel Team feels
that targeting the 3.0 kernel will provide our users the best support
for new hardware, driver updates, and bug fixes.  Going forward, we'll
continue to update the Ubuntu 11.10 kernel with the upstream 3.0.y
stable releases.  For those seeking the fine grained details of all the
changes provided in the Ubuntu 11.10 kernel, please refer to the git
repository [2].

Thanks,
The Ubuntu Kernel Team

[1] https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/other-kernel-o-version-and-flavours