data.tar.xz support added to Launchpad

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Tue Oct 25 20:15:06 UTC 2011

On Aug 26, 2011, at 10:32 PM, Colin Watson wrote:

>It should now be possible to use xz compression for .deb packages
>uploaded to Ubuntu oneiric (using 'dh_builddeb -- -Zxz').  In order to
>do so, you must include this field in the relevant binary packages:
>
>  Pre-Depends: dpkg (>= 1.15.6)

I just ran into this when I merged testing's version of m2crypto, which had
switched to xz compression.  The merge was tricky and I missed this tidbit in
the Debian packaging, but I did do a local sbuild for precise before uploaded,
and it succeeded without the Pre-Depends.

However, when the buildd got to that point, it failed:

https://launchpadlibrarian.net/83677349/buildlog_ubuntu-precise-amd64.m2crypto_0.21.1-2ubuntu1_BUILDING.txt.gz

I need to try it again on pbuilder to see what happens there.  Of course, it's
easy enough to add the Pre-Depends, but now I'm gunshy and don't trust my
sbuild environment, so I'm building it in a PPA first.  Unfortunately, that's
scheduled for *2 days* from now (!).  Yeah, I'll try to get it re-scored, but
that's beside the point.

Any idea why it succeeded in sbuild, and do you have any other suggestions for
testing such package builds locally before uploading?

-Barry