proposal do disallow syncs of library packages from experimental without approval

Sebastien Bacher seb128 at ubuntu.com
Wed Oct 5 19:30:22 UTC 2011

Le mercredi 05 octobre 2011 à 16:08 +0200, Matthias Klose a écrit :

> During the oneiric development cycle we had syncs of library packages
> from
> experimental, introducing new sonames, and changing APIs in a way that
> other

Hi,

The issue is not really specific to experimental, that could happen the
same way with updates done in Ubuntu directly or syncs from unstable.

While I agree that people who start a transition should have some
responsibilities in it I also think that we should be ok with dropping
unmaintained code which is not ported at the end of the cycle (and not
especially require that whoever started the transition has to be the one
that should fix the universe).

If we had the resources to both push forward our default installation
with the softwares most users care and port the universe it would be
great but in really we don't and I think we shouldn't let universe
crufts stop use to improve the default experience.
To take an example I think porting universe GNOME2 applets to GNOME3
wouldn't be a good use of our time, we better spend the resources we
have making sure our current desktop version is great.
If some people want to work on porting the applications they care about,
great, otherwise the source can be dropped and will come back once its
upstream or somebody else pick it up and update the code.

Cheers,
Sebastien Bacher