Using webkit 1.8 for the LTS(?)

Sebastien Bacher seb128 at ubuntu.com
Tue Nov 29 18:55:14 UTC 2011

Hi everybody,

So following-up on the email I just sent and trying to improve how we
decide on things that might have an impact on others teams I would like
to discuss what version of webkit we will use for the LTS.

In Oneiric we stayed on 1.4 because we were unsure that 1.6 would be on
time, that leaded to some issues with GNOME (which started using the new
version). We discussed the topic with upstream since and they said they
follow the GNOME schedule nowadays and the project and team is active
enough that there should be no issue for them to stay on track.

We discussed a bit, at UDS, what version to track for Precise and the
consensus seemed to be that we would benefit to have the most recent
version and should go for 1.8 (which will turn stable in march). I still
need to confirm with upstream that they will keep supporting gtk2 as a
build time option for that serie (I pinged them today but didn't get a
reply yet).

What is your take on using webkit 1.8? Is that choice good for other
teams? Is there any issue or concern you have about updating?

--
Sebastien Bacher