Minutes from the Ubuntu Kernel Team meeting, 2011-11-15

Leann Ogasawara leann.ogasawara at canonical.com
Tue Nov 15 19:35:56 UTC 2011

= Meeting Minutes =
http://irclogs.ubuntu.com/2011/11/15/%23ubuntu-meeting.txt
http://voices.canonical.com/kernelteam

== Agenda ==
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelTeam/Meeting

=== ARM Status  ===
Besides the usual SRU kernels, there's nothing else to report.

=== Release Metrics and Incoming Bugs  ===
==== precise nominated bugs ====
 * 32 linux kernel bugs (up 12)
==== Ubuntu precise-alpha-1 bugs ====
 * 1 linux kernel bugs (up 1)
==== <series>-updates bugs ====
 * 0 precise linux kernel bugs (no change 0)
 * 10 oneiric linux kernel bugs (no change 0)
 * 10 natty linux kernel bugs (no change 0)
 * 3 maverick linux kernel bugs (no change 0)
 * 7 lucid linux kernel bugs (no change 0)
 * 0 hardy linux kernel bugs (no change 0)
=== Incoming Bugs ===
 * 8 precise bugs (no change 0)
 * 635 oneiric bugs (down 5)
 * 1677 natty bugs (down 3)
 * 1099 maverick bugs (no change 0)
 * 979 lucid bugs (down 4)
 * 43 hardy bugs (down 3)
=== Regressions ===
==== regression-update bugs ====
 * 0 precise bugs (no change 0)
 * 7 oneiric bugs (no change 0)
 * 19 natty bugs (no change 0)
 * 40 maverick bugs (no change 0)
 * 76 lucid bugs (no change 0)
 * 0 hardy bugs (no change 0)
==== regression-release bugs ====
 * 1 precise bugs (no change 0)
 * 61 oneiric bugs (up 6)
 * 434 natty bugs (no change 0)
 * 236 maverick bugs (no change 0)
 * 208 lucid bugs (no change 0)
 * 2 hardy bugs (no change 0)
==== regression-proposed bugs ====
 * 0 precise bugs (no change 0)
 * 1 oneiric bugs (no change 0)
 * 4 natty bugs (no change 0)
 * 0 maverick bugs (no change 0)
 * 2 lucid bugs (no change 0)
 * 0 hardy bugs (no change 0)

=== Milestone Targeted Work Items  ===
I'll begin posting my nag table once the following url is generated and
available -
http://people.canonical.com/~platform/workitems/precise/canonical-kernel-team-oneiric-alpha-1.html

We have uploaded the 3.1.0-2.3 Ubuntu kernel which was based on the
upstream v3.1 kernel. Upstream is in the early -rc releases of the v3.2
kernel, ie currently v3.2-rc1.  Given a higher likelihood for
instability with an early -rc, we will hold off doing the first
3.2.0-1.1 upload until we rebase onto upstream v3.2-rc2. I would
anticipate this prior to Alpha 1 (Thurs Dec 1). If there are any patches
which need to land in the 12.04 kernel, submit them now so that they
receive adequate testing and feedback.

Currently open CVEs for each supported branch:

|| Package                                  || Open      ||
||                                          ||           ||
|| linux Hardy                              ||    8 (-5) ||
|| linux Lucid                              ||    5 (-2) ||
|| linux Maverick                           ||    6 (-4) ||
|| linux Natty                              ||    6 (-1) ||
|| linux Oneiric                            ||    4 (+2) ||
|| linux Precise                            ||    4      ||
|| linux-ec2 Lucid                          ||    5 (-2) ||
|| linux-fsl-imx51 Lucid                    ||    5 (-8) ||
|| linux-mvl-dove Lucid                     ||    5 (-2) ||
|| linux-mvl-dove Maverick                  ||    5 (-2) ||
|| linux-ti-omap4 Maverick                  ||    7 (-3) ||
|| linux-ti-omap4 Natty                     ||    6 (-3) ||
|| linux-ti-omap4 Oneiric                   ||    4 (+2) ||
|| linux-ti-omap4 Precise                   ||    4      ||
|| linux-lts-backport-maverick Lucid        ||    6 (-4) ||
|| linux-lts-backport-natty Lucid           ||    6 (-1) ||
|| linux-lts-backport-oneiric Lucid         ||    4      ||

We have had a fairly large number of new CVEs added since the last
report. Progress continues well with the overall backlog remaining
pretty much constant.  We retain a couple of stubourn CVEs which still
have no fix upstream.  Some process fixes in the security team have
brought down the number of pending fixes and produced USNs.

Oneiric/Natty/Maverick/Lucid/Hardy  ===
bjf is sprinting and herton is on holiday.  We'll get updates next week.

=== Open Discussion or Questions? Raise your hand to be recognized  ===
Meeting chair...I'll chair the next few meetings and then jsalisbury has
graciously offered to chair indefinitely going forward.