Dropping i386 non-PAE as a supported kernel flavour in Precise Pangolin

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Sun Nov 13 16:13:50 UTC 2011

On Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 09:19, Martin Pool <mbp at canonical.com> wrote:
>> Computers are replaced as frequently as refrigerators by people who don't
>> care how quickly it loads a page or makes ice: when it stops turning on.
>
> Those people are probably not upgrading their refrigerator firmware
> all that often either.  They may not want a major new OS release.
> They might install an update/backport of a particular app.

I am not aware of replacement refrigerator software. I do know of
people who for a variety of reasons continue to use perfectly
serviceable hardare from the early 2000S. In fact, one library that I
service is still using some ancient machine for their catalog that was
running on Windows 98 until a few months ago. It is now an Ubuntu
machine running wine. I do not remember which version of Ubuntu, but
it runs perfectly fine on that 13-year-old hardware.

> There is a group of people who want the latest-and-greatest software
> on old or small hardware, but they're necessarily the crowd you're
> describing here.

I doubt that these people need latest-and-greatest software, but they
do need supported software. That is the argument for keeping the
non-PAE kernel in the LTS release.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il