Checklist of package changes for new distribution?

Colin Watson cjwatson at ubuntu.com
Mon Nov 7 19:48:19 UTC 2011

On Mon, Nov 07, 2011 at 12:05:55PM -0600, Micah Gersten wrote:
> On 11/07/2011 11:55 AM, Colin Watson wrote:
> > On Mon, Nov 07, 2011 at 12:35:36PM -0500, Andrew Starr-Bochicchio wrote:
> >> This should no longer be needed in future releases of bzr-builddeb. I
> >> committed a change to use python-distro-info instead of having to
> >> manually fix this every six months. We should really try to use
> >> distro-info where possible.
> > Some packages can't though - for example debootstrap needs to be
> > runnable in contexts where distro-info isn't available (from the
> > installer, and from other distributions).
>
> It could be fixed to just require a no change rebuild against the newer
> distro-info rather than hardcoding.  I was thinking of fixing that if
> more people than I believe it's worthwhile.

I'm not wild about debootstrap being any more complicated than it needs
to be, and I'd like it to remain buildable on non-Debian-derived
distributions too, which means the source change needs to be made
anyway.

If you really feel this is critical, then please do it in Debian rather
than in Ubuntu - it's been nice to have debootstrap normally in sync
again.