Natty apport-crash reports

Brian Murray brian at ubuntu.com
Tue May 31 18:09:21 UTC 2011

I was recently looking at some aptdaemon bug reports and noticed that
there are surprising number of duplicates.  Upon further investigation I
noticed that quite a lot were reported after Natty was officially
released and apport was disabled.  I then queried for all bugs opened
since 2011-05-01 which are tagged apport-crash and natty with the
following results:

aptdaemon: 243
compiz: 6
telepathy-butterfly: 4
evolution: 4

After evolution there is a long list of packages with less than 4 bug
reports, which is what I'd expect (lots of packages with low numbers of
apport-crash reports) since few people would have apport enabled.

However, I'm baffled as to why aptdaemon is receiving so many
apport-crash reports post release.  Looking in the aptdaemon code I
found a crash reporting routine (aptdaemon/crash.py) which seems to be
an apport package hook for aptdaemon but doesn't start the apport
service.  I've also looked at some of the aptdaemon apport-crash bug
reports with the most duplicates for common attributes (are they
upgrades? are they fresh installs?) and haven't found anything.

Does anybody have an idea as to why there are so many aptdaemon crash
reports coming in?

Thanks!
--
Brian Murray