Ubuntu 11.10 Features Defined
jason.warner at canonical.com
Tue May 31 10:03:43 UTC 2011
Hi Everyone -
UDS is over and any post UDS super bugs (stupid ubuflu/ubupneuomonia) should
be out of people's systems. Here is the feature list of items for Ubuntu
As always, you can see the burndown progress here:
complete Oneiric Release Schedule can be found here:
If you are only interested in the highlights, here is a quick rundown of
some of the major things people will be working on this cycle:
Plan how to integrate GNOME 3 and port our GTK2/pygtk2 apps to it.
* Unity-2d/Qt by default - Unity-2d as default 2d experience.
* LightDM <https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/desktop-o-lightdm>-
default login/user switching by LightDM. Ubuntu themed greeter as
* Deja Dup<https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/desktop-o-deja-dup-default>-
Simple backup by default
* ISO Localization<https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/desktop-o-cd-localization>-
Tools and a workflow to provide truly localized CD images. This goes
beyond merely installing the right translations, we also want to localize e.
g. default bookmarks, or provide a custom background image.
* Gwibber UI<https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/desktop-o-gwibber-gtk3>-
Gwibber UI port to speed up UI and more modern look and feel
* CD Space <https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/desktop-o-cdspace>-
Ongoing battle with CD space
* Thunderbird as
Provisional switch to Thunderbird as default email client
* Software Center
Focus areas for this cycle are a general visual "makeover" (new icons,
etc.), enhanced integration with Unity, targeted performance improvements,
better touch-friendliness, increased stability and usability improvements.
* Mozilla release cycle
how we adapt to the new rapid release process for Mozilla packages.
Great UDS, and I think an even better upcoming cycle! There are some really
big platform things coming and Oneiric is going to rock!
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the ubuntu-devel