systemd for 11.10 ?

Serge Hallyn serge.hallyn at canonical.com
Thu May 12 16:03:21 UTC 2011

Quoting Steve Langasek (steve.langasek at ubuntu.com):
> On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 12:01:50PM -0500, Patrick Goetz wrote:
> > On 05/11/2011 04:57 AM, ubuntu-devel-request at lists.ubuntu.com wrote:
> > >From: Reinhard Tartler <siretart at ubuntu.com>
> > >Date: Wed, 11 May 2011 10:55:09 +0200
>
> > >So you want to require screen users to break their current user
> > >experience by having them to write (system-wide) upstart scripts?
>
> > I'm completely befuddled by this sub-topic.  As soon as you detach
> > from a screen, it automatically re-attaches to init and hence should
> > not be affected by anything that happens to gdm (or a shell)
> > subsequently.
>
> That's what happens *today*.  But cgroups are an entirely new interface in
> the kernel that in systemd explicitly prevents that from happening.

But there is nothing (aside from the deprecated ns cgroup) stopping
systemd providing you a way to move such a job into a new cgroup.
One which perhaps won't be killed when gdm is killed at logout, but
will when entering runlevel 1.

Likewise, of course, it's wrong to say that cgroups let systemd prevent
a task from escaping that kill.  So long as the process has the privs
to move itself into some other cgroup, it can trivially escape.

-serge