systemd for 11.10 ?

James Hunt james.hunt at ubuntu.com
Thu May 12 08:45:59 UTC 2011

On 11/05/11 20:07, Patrick Goetz wrote:
> On 05/11/2011 05:25 AM, James Hunt wrote:
>> The best place to start is:
>>
>> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/NattyNarwhal/TechnicalOverviewUpstart
>>

> This section:
> ------------------------------------
> ...if a job configuration file specified the following complex condition:
>
>   start on (A and (B or (starting C or (starting D or starting E))))
>
> The check-config command would flag an error if for example none of the
> jobs 'C', 'D' or 'E' were available since that would indicate the job in
> question could never be automatically started (since the start on
> condition could never be true).
> ------------------------------------
>
> is incorrect as stated.  If A and B are true, the job starts.  Since the
> proposition can be logically flattened
>  (B or (C or (D or E))) == B or C or D or E
> I suspect the typo is the "or" after B should be "and"

Actually, there is no error here.

You are right that *if* events A and B are emitted, then the job will
start. But that's not what the check-config command is telling you. The
command tries to identify problems that *might* occur "in the future"
(ie next boot). It is not considering what *did* happen when the system
booted. So, in this example, we don't know if event A or B will actually
be emitted. Because of this uncertainty, we also need to check the rest
of the expression. See:

  http://upstart.at/2011/03/16/checking-jobs-and-events-in-ubuntu-natty/

James