systemd for 11.10 ?

Phillip Susi psusi at cfl.rr.com
Wed May 11 16:24:53 UTC 2011

On 5/11/2011 5:57 AM, Steve Langasek wrote:
> The only thing that I see cgroups give you that you don't already have from
> killall5 is the assurance that processes won't dodge attempts to kill them.
> That's an interesting feature of cgroups to think about, but I don't think
> it's relevant to single user mode in the real world.

killall5 is a kludge.  Normally transitions between runlevels are
supposed to start jobs marked for the new runlevel that are not already
running, and end jobs not marked for the new runlevel that are running.
  Because that allows some processes to escape, the transition to
runlevel s was made to slay ALL processes, then start over from scratch.