systemd for 11.10 ?

Reinhard Tartler siretart at ubuntu.com
Wed May 11 08:55:09 UTC 2011

On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 02:56:11 (CEST), Phillip Susi wrote:

>> Case in point, I have gnome-terminal set up to run byobu-launcher which sets up
>> a screen session, and the session continues on between gdm sessions, allowing me
>> to reconnect to it after re-logging in, either on gdm again, a tty or via SSH.
>
> That screen session should be run by init as a parallel service to gdm
> so it can be started or stopped when appropriate, with or without gdm.

So you want to require screen users to break their current user
experience by having them to write (system-wide) upstart scripts?
Moreover, this won't work for users that don't have necessary
priviledges.

Use case: We have a lab of powerful ubuntu computer to which potentially
thousands of students can log in via gdm or ssh and start long-running
jobs in a screen session. They of course don't have the knowledge nor
priviledges to write and install scripts and the system administrators
don't know which of the students exactly will use their screen sessions.

Sorry, there must be some better way to deal with long-running
background processes.

--
Gruesse/greetings,
Reinhard Tartler, KeyID 945348A4