systemd for 11.10 ?

Steffen Barszus steffenbpunkt at googlemail.com
Wed May 11 06:18:55 UTC 2011

On Tue, 10 May 2011 13:39:40 -0400
Phillip Susi <psusi at cfl.rr.com> wrote:

> On 5/10/2011 6:46 AM, Steffen Barszus wrote:
> > So the discussion should be on how to evaluate systemd , and set a
> > number of criterias to benchmark both. Then the better one should be
> > planned for slow migration.
> >
> > "Look its new and it has bells and whistles lets move to that" is
> > not a valid argument for moving to a new init.
>
> I agree, so let's see if we can get the ball rolling in that
> direction.

1.) So the discussion should be on how to evaluate systemd.

- put together some information on how to get that running at least for
  one ore more defined use case(s). (i.e. desktop, server, ??)

> Some of the shortcomings I see with upstart that systemd sounds like
> it addresses are:
>
> 1)  The ability to drop back to single user mode for system
> administration.
Ok.

> 2)  The ability to serialize state and re-execute itself so it can
> run in the initramfs and then hand off to the real system.
what is the requirement here, that can be benchmarked ?

> 3)  The ability to figure out why a given service runs or does not
> run when it does or should.
Example ? How easy/difficult is debugging of the boot/start.

> 4)  The increased parallelism systemd offers by running services at
> the same time as those they "depend" on
whats a use case to compare the parallelism ?

I guess evaluation of systemd alone would need a release cycle.

My fear:
Whats the part of systemd where reality has been simplified to
much so it just doesn't work for real world scenarios ? I.e. Shellfree
bootup , how you start complex to start daemons which need to read
certain confiration files in order to build together how the daemon is
started. Whatelse is there ? I mean its not that the same author has
not pretended to have the solution to everything and how everything
else is broken, and in in the end its broken as well. I trust systemd
as far as i can watch in a dark night. Are the features advertised
working with real world applications ? The harder he tries to sell it
the more suspicious i am.