systemd for 11.10 ?

Patrick Goetz pgoetz at mail.utexas.edu
Mon May 9 15:58:24 UTC 2011

> From: Steve Langasek <steve.langasek at ubuntu.com>
> Date: Mon, 9 May 2011 11:45:56 +0200
>
> And let's not forget that, for anyone tracking the LTS, upstart is*already*
> the system in use for the previous LTS, 10.04.  The fundamentals of how
> upstart will work in 12.04 LTS are the same as in 10.04 LTS; upstart in
> 12.04 will include incremental improvements to the usability and
> instrumentability for system admins, this is not something *new*  that admins
> are being asked to invest their time in learning.

Hi -

Your points are well taken, and -- especially if not everyone agrees
that systemd is superior -- it's fair to keep upstart going for a while
before jumping to the conclusion that systemd is better.  Everyone
immediately jumped on the X windows bandwagon many years ago (mostly as
a foil to Sun's NeWS system), and we haven't been unable to get out from
underneath using network stacks for locally displayed graphics for the
20+ years since.

My point about learning a new system was based on the observation that
there still seem to be a number of kinks in upstart; in particular,
we've had timing problems with autofs and statd, both of which
intermittently refused to start until we tweaked the upstart scripts.
Also, the fact that packages like apache still don't have an upstart
script indicates the technology isn't fully mature.  Under these
circumstances, if everyone agreed that systemd is better, then it makes
more sense to switch sooner rather than later.

 > http://i.imgur.com/usftZ.png

This is very funny, but there are some points raised in Lennart's
comparison:

   http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/why.html

that merit careful reflection; e.g. shell-free bootup, mount/automount
handling, and disabling of services without editing files, to name a
few.  There are other points that look interesting, but I don't know
enough about what he means to comment.  No one, however, can tell me
that the accepted method for disabling services in upstart isn't a
kludge!  <:)