systemd for 11.10 ?

Steve Langasek steve.langasek at ubuntu.com
Mon May 9 10:36:48 UTC 2011

Hi Phillip,

On Sun, May 08, 2011 at 06:11:57PM -0400, Phillip Susi wrote:
> On 05/06/2011 07:03 PM, Oliver Grawert wrote:
> > hi,
> > Am Samstag, den 30.04.2011, 18:24 +0200 schrieb Thomas Bechtold:
> >> Hi,

> >> i just want to know if there are any plans to replace upstart[1] with
> >> systemd[2] for 11.10?

> I have to say I was skeptical at first, but after reading that very good
> introduction it sounds great!

> > http://undacuvabrutha.wordpress.com/2011/04/29/why-ubuntu-should-continue-with-upstart-for-11-10/

> Seriously?  It is too close to LTS?  It's over 11 months away!  I don't
> mean to jump on the unity haters bandwagon, but that was pressed in one
> dev cycle and was still in pretty bad shape just 2 months before
> release.  Surly if we can manage that, we can manage systemd in 11
> months?  Or at least make an attempt; you can always switch back if it
> is still looking bad at beta time.

It's one thing to have a rollback plan for which desktop experience is
shipped by default; that touches a handful of closely related packages.
It's quite another to try to roll back an init system change, which touches
every single package that's involved with system startup and requires
changes across a very broad set of foundations, desktop, and server
packages.

And for what?  Why are we eager to invest that time in switching to
something which, contrary to the propaganda, isn't actually superior to
upstart?

http://i.imgur.com/usftZ.png