Can we fix apport to stop reporting all upgrade bugs against dpkg?

Raphael Hertzog hertzog at debian.org
Wed May 4 12:32:35 UTC 2011

On Mon, 02 May 2011, Brian Murray wrote:
> This particular bug report was reported during a distribution upgrade of
> Ubuntu from Maverick to Natty.  This is recognizable by the attachments
> named 'VarLogDistupgrade'.  The call to apport was actually made by
> update-manager, in DistUpgradeView.py and DistUpgradeApport.py.  So for
> this particular example the fix would need to happen in update-manager
> as it is choosing the package to pass to apport.  Additionally, I think
> it would make sense to fix which package is chosen as a stable release
> update.
>
> Have you found other, non-distribution upgrade, bug reports where the
> bug is also filed about the wrong package?

I tried to look at a few random reports, many are related to dist-upgrades
indeed (at least the recent ones) but there are a some where we don't see
the initial failure:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/dpkg/+bug/321709
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/dpkg/+bug/526576
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/dpkg/+bug/586537
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/dpkg/+bug/621738
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/dpkg/+bug/767760

> I've been looking at some apport-package bug reports recently and think
> there are quite a few improvements that could be made to reduce the
> quantity of them being reported and increase their quality.

Great. I saw once or twice the same users report 6 or 7 bugs for the same
broken dist-upgrade...

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer