Can we fix apport to stop reporting all upgrade bugs against dpkg?

Raphael Hertzog hertzog at debian.org
Mon May 2 06:30:53 UTC 2011

Hi,

On Mon, 02 May 2011, Robert Collins wrote:
> On Sun, May 1, 2011 at 7:24 PM, Raphael Hertzog <hertzog at debian.org> wrote:
> > whenever an upgrade fails early in the unpack (either broken preinst,
> > corrupted archive, etc.), APT still tries to configure it and
> > it results in a supplementary error in the upgrade log that looks like
> > this:
> > dpkg: error processing onboard (--configure):
> >  package onboard is already installed and configured
>
> Seems to me that filing the upgrade bug on onboard would be more
> likely to be useful ?

Sure, I was not suggesting to not report anything but to fix apport
to ignore this error message and thus fallback on the previous (real)
error message which concerns onboard.

In many upgrade cases, once a package fails to unpack it has implications
on sub-sequent installations which rightly fail to configure due to an
unsatisfied dependency. So the interesting error message tends to be the
first one.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer