Ubuntu 11.04 Kernel Configurations

Steve Langasek steve.langasek at ubuntu.com
Sat Mar 26 18:21:36 UTC 2011

On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 07:05:00PM -0600, Tim Gardner wrote:
> >Perhaps this is an appropriate time to ask, since I've been trying to
> >ask for months now in mailing list/IRC but never apparently to the right
> >person...

> >Can the kernel team please raise the hard limit for file descriptors
> >(but keep the soft limit)?

> >https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/663090

> >I'm having real applications break from this, and the change shouldn't
> >affect any app that doesn't request it manually.

> The initial hard limit value is not a CONFIG option, so the only way
> it can be changed is by carrying a patch in the kernel, something I
> would prefer not to do. This is the macro that initializes the hard
> limit:

> include/linux/fs.h:#define INR_OPEN 1024                /* Initial
> setting for nfile rlimits */

> What is the issue with having upstart set this limit early in the
> boot cycle? Won't all new processes inherit the modified limit?

upstart currently has no provisions for configuring system-wide default
ulimits.  The kernel, on the other hand, does.  If the defaults in the
kernel are wrong for the system, that should be remedied there (both
upstream and in Ubuntu).  Architecturally, I can see no reason why upstart
should be setting this - if upstart is patched to set the ulimits, it will
only be as a workaround for wrong values in the kernel.

(Upstart does have a feature to set per-job ulimits, but that's for the case
where a /particular/ job should diverge from the defaults.)