Integrating new console colors in D-I (was Re: Call for testing: Aubergine-love for Server folks!)

Stéphane Graber stgraber at ubuntu.com
Sat Mar 19 21:54:59 UTC 2011

On Sat, 2011-03-19 at 00:45 -0400, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> On Saturday, March 19, 2011 12:08:16 am Scott Kitterman wrote:
> > Dropped server from cc, since it's no OT there.
> >
> > On Friday, March 18, 2011 11:55:35 pm Dustin Kirkland wrote:

> > > Until now, Ubuntu and all Ubuntu flavors have inherited a color scheme
> > > wasn't theirs either, actually.

> > > I filed and fixed Bug: #730672, on your behalf.
> > >
> > > The newt library can now read its palette from a configuration file,
> > > which is installed using update-alternatives.
> > >
> > >  +       update-alternatives --install /etc/newt/palette newt-palette
> > >
> > > /usr/share/newt/palette.ubuntu 50
> > >
> > >  +       update-alternatives --install /etc/newt/palette newt-palette
> > >
> > > /usr/share/newt/palette 20
> > >
> > > Furthermore, the console-setup package now also installs its color
> > > scheme using update-alternatives as well.
> > >
> > >  +    update-alternatives --install /etc/vtrgb vtrgb
> > >
> > > /usr/share/console-setup/vtrgb 50
> > >
> > > Other packages can install palettes and different color schemes at
> > > different priorities.
> >
> > Thanks.  How do I get this integrated into D-I to use a different
> > alternative for Kubuntu?
>
> Perhaps, particularly since this affects a number of different groups and it
> was introduced after feature freeze with no notice (and no FFe that I recall)
> it should default to the old behavior and be opt-in for packages/people that
> want to use alternatives to enable it?
>
> Scott K

What about making that change preseedable ?

This way ubuntu-alternate and ubuntu-server can ship with the new
palette set in the .seed files included on the CD and everyone else will
get the old VGA colors.

The other way around would probably work (as in, use the new palette and
let other derivatives/flavors override it) but would cause a change for
everyone currently using mini.iso or netboot installer to install
something that's not necessarily Ubuntu itself. I'd definitely prefer
having the "Ubuntu" palette set in the various .seed files shipped on
the Ubuntu alternate and Ubuntu desktop CDs.

--
Stéphane Graber
Ubuntu developer