How to package Nuxeo DM, a Java EE application, in Ubuntu?

Scott Howard showard314 at ubuntu.com
Fri Mar 11 18:31:51 UTC 2011

On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 12:31 PM, Stefano Zacchiroli <zack at debian.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 12:06:14AM +0100, Stefane Fermigier wrote:
>> Here are some thoughts and questions about how to package a Java EE
>> application so that it can be accepted in partner.
>>
>> We have packages that have been created a few months ago, and would be
>> really pleased if they could be included in Natty, so your help would
>> be really appreciated.
>
> I believe this list should be aware that you've already posed the very
> same question on the debian-java mailing list and that there is a quite
> rich thread there already:
>
>  http://lists.debian.org/debian-java/2011/02/msg00003.html
>
> While I haven't read the thread in detail, given you're targeting both
> Debian and Ubuntu, it seems wise to avoid wasting time in re-discovering
> arguments which have already been posted there.

I've been following these threads in both the ubuntu and debian lists
- I just want to prevent any further discussion that will be
off-topic. Stefane Fermigier is specifically asking for help getting
into the Ubuntu Partner repository. They do not have the same
requirements as Debian Main as they already have another java
application with several hundred pre-packaged .jars included in it
(Stefane gave the reference in a previous email).

I believe he wants to avoid the whole java library packaging mess [1]
by getting directly into Ubuntu Partner.

I know nothing of the Ubuntu Partner repository itself, I just wanted
to prevent duplicating the two previous threads on debian-java and
ubuntu-devel. This thread should probably focus on getting into the
Ubuntu Partner repository.

Also, there was a Google Summer of Code idea to help fix the java mess
that was inspired by the debian-java thread. If any student or someone
from Ubuntu is interested, a brief outline of the concept can be found
here [2].

[1] http://fnords.wordpress.com/2010/09/24/the-real-problem-with-java-in-linux-distros/
[2] http://lists.debian.org/debian-java/2011/02/msg00058.html

Cheers,