Restructuring ubuntu-dev-tools?

Barry Warsaw barry at ubuntu.com
Fri Mar 11 13:04:59 UTC 2011

On Jan 27, 2011, at 01:19 PM, Martin Pool wrote:

>By "people in general" I mean it doesn't need to include things that
>are only for Ubuntu developers, or that scratch particular personal
>itches.  But there are some very common things like adding a person to
>a team or changing bug state or listing bugs that are pretty much
>policy-free.  At the moment they are spread across a bunch of
>different client tools, and therefore are needlessly inconsistent,
>hard to find, and duplicative.

While these tools are really great, discoverability is a big problem.  I
wonder if it would make sense to bring the most useful ones under a common top
level command, a la bzr, svn, and so on.  When written in Python, argparse
provides very nice support for subcommand definitions.  For example, Mailman 3
includes a top level 'mailman' command with subcommands for starting/stopping
the processor, creating lists, etc.

I'm not sure there's enough commonality to justify it, but I'm throwing it out
there anyway. ;)

-Barry