Patch Pilot Report 2011-03-07

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at vernstok.nl
Tue Mar 8 16:54:50 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-03-08 at 10:06 +0000, Dave Walker wrote:
> On 08/03/11 02:45, Bryce Harrington wrote:
> * If the UDD branches have diverged or are out of date, the contributor
> has no way on knowing without checking manually, via rmadison,
> launchpad, etc.  A contributor shouldn't have to do this manually, as
> its' easily missed and very frustrating.
FWIW there is a high priority bug about this assigned to the Bazaar
team:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/udd/+bug/609187

> * Additionally, I when merge+commit someone elses branch - I feel really
> rude making the bzr history look like it was my work..  Whilst I agree I
> would be the "merge author" (as in the person that decided to do it), I
> am not the person that did most of the work. It seems only appropriate
> to set the --author tag appropriately and therefore bzr marking myself
> as the committer for traceability.  I wish debcommit had native support
> for this, but instead of fixing this properly i've been lazy and written
> a crappy script[3] to automate this, which i call debcommit-sponsor (not
> really related to debcommit!)... bzr being awesome, pulls in the
> changelog difference in $EDITOR.
I think this is mainly a display issue with the default of "-n1" for
"bzr log", where bzr only shows the mainline revisions and not the
merged revisions.

Ideally bzr should somehow be giving credit to all the authors of the
merged commits when showing just the mainline. I.e.:

revno: 64 [merge]
merge committer: The Merger <merge at example.com>
authors: Contributor1 <contributor1 at ubuntu.com>, Contributor2
<contributor2 at ubuntu.com>
branch nick: trunk
timestamp: Thu 2010-05-13 18:19:25 +0200
message:
  Foo

And perhaps just list the number of authors if there are too many.

There might be some performance consequences of doing this though, as
there are more revisions to access upon log.

Cheers,

Jelmer