lsb printing support [Was, Re: Qt3 and LSB compliance]

Steve Langasek steve.langasek at ubuntu.com
Wed Mar 2 20:35:19 UTC 2011

On Wed, Mar 02, 2011 at 08:31:15PM +0100, Till Kamppeter wrote:

> >Nothing in main depends on the lsb package except for kubuntu-full, and
> >nothing installs it by default.  Are you saying that you intended to *add* a
> >new dependency on lsb in natty?  (If so, that would appear to require a
> >feature freeze exception at this point, for whatever this new feature is?)

> >Bear in mind that 'lsb' is the package providing the full LSB system.  If
> >you only need the LSB printing subsystem, there's an 'lsb-printing' package
> >for that.  But regardless, I don't see anything here that requires keeping
> >the packages in main given that they're not installed by default anyway.

> I do not introduce a new feature, as "lsb" was in main before
> feature freeze.

Nothing in main (except for kubuntu-full) depends on lsb; ergo nothing in
main *uses* lsb; ergo anything that would start to use lsb now would be a
new feature that doesn't currently exist, and is subject to the feature
freeze.

> Moving 'lsb' from main to Universe would require a Feature Freeze
> Exception.

No, that's not how it works.

> Automatic printer driver downloads are a feature which we already agreed
> on during the last UDSes and pitti has just completed the Jockey part of
> it.

Agreeing to features in UDS is not a guarantee of these features landing in
a given Ubuntu release.  They may fail to be included for various reasons,
including: the developers may decide that the feature is technically
incorrect; there may not be sufficient resources to implement the feature;
or the feature may not be implemented on schedule, with a decision taken
that landing the feature after feature freeze is too risky.

On the other hand, since Martin is most definitely familiar with all of
this, and you say he's implementing the jockey side of things, it's likely
that he's already thought about all of this and has a FFe request planned
(if needed).

> As manufacturers are told that they have to make LSB packages (so
> that one package fits all distros), the full LSB needs to stay in main.
> Manufacturers have for example the liberty to ship a GUI tool with the
> driver.  Therefore we need to keep the LSB.

That's a complete non sequitur.  Jockey supports installing lots of things
that aren't part of main... in fact, that's its primary use case.