New Launchpad feature: Diff between Sid and Oneiric

Bryce Harrington bryce at canonical.com
Thu Jun 16 19:59:04 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 03:08:14PM +0200, Sebastien Bacher wrote:
> On mer., 2011-06-15 at 23:03 -0700, Bryce Harrington wrote:
> >
> > There's now support in launchpad for displaying source package diffs
> > between what's in ubuntu oneiric and what's in debian sid.  Check it
> > out:
> >
> >   https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/oneiric/+localpackagediffs
>
> Hey again,
>
> So I've been looking a bit to it, reading the LEP document you pointed
> and thinking how we could use for the desktop team versions page we use
> (it already lists package outdated compared to upstream and debian,
> build failures, sponsoring request and our workflow is centered around
> it), and I've a few comments, questions:
>
> * is the current page only tracking Debian unstable? GNOME3 is in
> experimental still in Debian and for desktop work we are interested to
> track experimental and not unstable, is there any way to do that?

Right, similarly for my xorg versions report.  I've shown both the gnome
versions report and the xorg report to the Launchpad devs.
Interestingly, they hadn't seen these reports previously.  They had seen
MoM though, but that's a bit different.

For now, sounds like we should stick with our existing versions reports,
as there aren't plans in the work to implement all the functionalities
we need.  However the 'sync me' button Julian mentioned that's coming
sounds very sexy.  I don't know at this point if we could easily
integrate it into our own versions reports, or if deeper development
work is required.

> * is there a standard url we could build in a programmatic way so our
> version page could have an icon or something pointing to the diff page
> for the sources where are outdated compared to Debian?

The underlying infrastructure is exposed via launchpadlib, so I'd
suggest looking there to start.  If it's not sufficiently accessible
programmatically, it would be worth requesting (like the button, it'd
nicely improve our versions reports.)

Bryce