New Launchpad feature: Diff between Sid and Oneiric
DaveWalker at ubuntu.com
Thu Jun 16 09:26:50 UTC 2011
On 16/06/11 07:03, Bryce Harrington wrote:
> There's now support in launchpad for displaying source package diffs
> between what's in ubuntu oneiric and what's in debian sid. Check it out:
> This is an outcome of the Launchpad team's current 'Derived Distros'
> development focus. The primary objective is to make life easier from
> people making derivatives of Ubuntu such as OEMs, but since Ubuntu
> itself is a derivative of Debian, it looks like this is going to win us
> some nifty new functionality too. This includes a comment area to allow
> packagers to mark merges they're working on or leave notes for other
> packagers, buttons to make it easier to sync one or more packages
> straight from debian, and functionality for derived distros to push
> their changes back up to us more easily.
> For more info on what's in the plans, see:
This is a great new feature, and certainly a step in the right
direction. I see this as really good news, so thanks for sharing it
I'd like to make a few suggestions, to make this more useful to my workflow:
* Ability to diff legacy source packages ubuntu/debian delta.
- There have been multiple occasions where I have have dget'd the
sid source package from snapshot.debian.org and created a debdiff from a
prior ubuntu merge to /really/ see what the delta is. The current
autogenerated diff per source package doesn't cut it for merges, as it
includes the Debian changes. I want to view just what the merge delta was.
* Being able to filter by subscribed packages for a given team or user.
- The https://bugs.launchpad.net/~LPID/+packagebugs
- This allows a given user or group to keep an idea of where the
packages differ from sid. Especially useful for a team or user to be
able to monitor the core of packages that they need to deliver.
* Should probably be able to also see the package sets, and possibly
* Being able to easily see the debian/changelog entries for version >
ubuntu current version.
- This allows to quickly see how important the changes are.
* The new page should probably indicate the sponsor of the Ubuntu upload
* I wonder if this feature set will be exposed by the API? :)
To date, i have been maintaining a cron'ed list of packages where
Debian is a higher version than Ubuntu for packages ~ubuntu-server is
subscribed to, and the ubuntu-server package set. I have found it most
useful, I hope Launchpad will be able to superseed my list and make it
More information about the ubuntu-devel