[dpkg-dev] auto-generated patch too easily included (debian/patches/debian-changes-*))

Chow Loong Jin hyperair at ubuntu.com
Thu Jun 16 02:30:39 UTC 2011

On 16/06/2011 04:52, Micah Gersten wrote:
> [...]
> I actually use this as a feature.  I modify the upstream code, create a source
> package, then rename the patch and add DEP-3 info.

I think it should be opt-in rather than opt-out. I've had too many occasions
where I accidentally introduced a new file, say cscope.out/cscope.files, and it
ends up creating an unwanted diff.

For that reason, I always work on packages in git. This way I get control over
what changes I want in and out of the package. That said, the
DEBUILD_DPKG_BUILDPACKAGE_OPTS="--source-option=--abort-on-upstream-changes"
method seems to work pretty well, so I think I'll just keep that in my .devscripts.

--
Kind regards,
Loong Jin