release cadence for Q and R

Allison Randal allison at canonical.com
Wed Jun 15 21:48:58 UTC 2011

On 06/15/2011 11:34 AM, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> For Kubuntu, when we've been able to release at the end of the month we've
> been able to release with KDE 4.X.2.  For Maverick we had to release with
> 4.5.1.  This required significant effort on the part of Kubuntu developers to
> review all the upstream branches and cherrypick a number of important patches.
>
> I think that a roughly balanced schedule (nominally 26/26) is the best one for
> giving other projects that want to align to Ubuntu releases a reliable target
> to aim for.
>
> I like the idea of keeping a steady cadence.  My preference would be slightly
> different, to go straight to 26 weeks:
>
> Q: October 25, 2012 (26 weeks)
> R: April 25, 2013 (26 weeks)
>
> This would align pretty well with what I expect will be the most likely
> upstream release plan for KDE.

Very valuable perspective, thanks. To other upstreams, do you have
similar or opposite needs?

A few practical considerations I ran through:

- Release on Oct 11 means UDS on Oct 29-Nov 2 (the week of Halloween)
- Release on Oct 18 means UDS on Nov 5-9
- Release on Oct 25 means UDS on Nov 12-17 (the week before Thanksgiving)

Having UDS the week before Thanksgiving will cause substantial travel
problems for return flights from a US-based UDS. Having UDS on the week
of Halloween could go either way (it's fun to have our semi-traditional
UDS Halloween party, but parents based in countries that celebrate it
would probably rather be home with their kids that week).

Easter is March 31st in 2013, so we don't have to schedule around it for
R. (In many years, Easter is the tricky bit for April releases.)

Allison