[dpkg-dev] auto-generated patch too easily included (debian/patches/debian-changes-*))

Dave Walker DaveWalker at ubuntu.com
Wed Jun 15 17:40:27 UTC 2011

Hi,

Currently, if the upstream code is changed (anything other than
debian/*).. When dpkg-buildpackage is run, an automated patch is
created. This is a really nice feature, but it is very easy to miss
this. I have seen multiple uploads where these auto-generated patches
have been included accidentally (I have also been guilty of this).

This can be overridden locally with:
$ cat ~/.devscripts
DEBUILD_DPKG_BUILDPACKAGE_OPTS="--source-option=--abort-on-upstream-changes"

I think the chance of someone wanting an auto-generated patch is low,
and would like to suggest the default is changed to fail to create the
source package.

The alternative fix would be a dput hook.

Thoughts?

I have raised a bug to track this:
https://launchpad.net/bugs/797839

Kind Regards,