shrinking the desktop DVD image to 1.5GB

Stéphane Graber stgraber at ubuntu.com
Fri Jun 10 00:03:09 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-06-09 at 16:25 -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 09, 2011 at 06:51:27PM -0400, Stéphane Graber wrote:
> > > I wouldn't like this to result in any additional prompts; we should be able
> > > to auto-install these for the user based on their language selection in
> > > either the bootloader (in which case casper can do the setup), or in
> > > ubiquity-dm.
>
> > Yeah, I don't plan on prompting the user for their language again, the
> > prompt would be to give a chance for low-memory users to opt-out of the
> > additional memory usage.
>
> > As in my experience, it's really easy to trigger out-of-memory kills in
> > the live environment by installing just a few megs of packages.
>
> Ah; that's not a very nice choice to present the user with then.  "Would you
> like to run in a language you don't speak very well, or would you like an
> OOM?"
>
> :/

Indeed, not sure what we should do to avoid that.
A workaround would be to bump the minimal RAM requirement for install by
whatever the biggest langpack needs (50MB ?). Or alternatively, detect
that we won't have enough RAM and just not install the langpack in such
case.

--
Stéphane Graber
Ubuntu developer