shrinking the desktop DVD image to 1.5GB

Steve Langasek steve.langasek at ubuntu.com
Thu Jun 9 17:49:38 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jun 09, 2011 at 07:23:31AM +0200, Martin Pitt wrote:
> Phillip Susi [2011-06-08 21:52 -0400]:
> > One thing that would be nice to fix with the existing DVD image is the
> > waste of space it has from duplicating the language packs both as
> > packages in the pool, and being installed in the sqashfs live image,
> > which is MUCH larger than the one on the livecd.

> I agree, duplicating them is a hideous waste.

> > It seems like the language packs should only be included in the
> > pool, not the squashfs image, and installed on demand.

> I disagree. They should only be in the squashfs image, so that you can
> actually _use_ the live system in your local language.

Is there any reason that they have to be in the squashfs image to get that
effect?  I know that's how it's architected today, but would it actually be
a better experience to have a much smaller squashfs that needs to be
unpacked, to which the correct language pack is applied on-the-fly as soon
as we know what language the user has selected?

Cons:
 - have to wait for apt before starting the login session or ubiquity
 - new code has to be written
Pros:
 - shorter livefs build time
 - shorter install time
 - potentially *reusable* squashfs image, that can be extended for new
   locales just by dropping it on a new ISO including a different package
   repo

Is this worth exploring?