Do you use Binary package hint: line in bug description?

James Westby jw+debian at jameswestby.net
Thu Jun 9 17:15:55 UTC 2011

On Wed, 8 Jun 2011 17:52:17 -0400, "Francis J. Lacoste" <francis.lacoste at canonical.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> When user file bugs on the distribution and enter a package name in the
> widget, Launchpad automatically adds a line to the description with
> Binary package hint: binarypackagename
>
> That binarypackagename actually comes from the last binary generated from the
> sourcepackage found by the user. (If the user actually entered a binary
> package name, we will find the corresponding sourcepackage name and then set
> the binarypackage hint line to the 'official binary name' - not the one
> entered to the user.)
>
> Is that "feature" useful to you? The logic to retrieve this binary package
> name is really convulated and there doesn't seem to be a strong use case for
> it. I'd really like to get rid of it. But maybe that Binary package hint: is
> really useful to you?

The only thing I've used it for is to know where the bug was originally
filed.

That should be covered by the activity log, and now that it's in the
comments it's just as easy to see, more reliable, and contains more
informtion.

I don't think I've ever needed to know which particular binary package
of a source is at fault.

Therefore I support removing it assuming that the activity log is
comprehensive.

Thanks,

James